Monday, June 4, 2012

a night of firsts.

Now that I've moved down to Melbourne I don't have housemates (read: parents) to sample the deliciousness I so frequently love to create so I'm going to throw dinner parties for my Victorian family and friends!
The first dinner party was a very beautiful and intimate affair with my best-twin-cousin Beth. I was desperate to try out the new caste-iron pot my mummy dearest bought me during her last visit so I made a classic winter delight, Lamb Shanks!

A recipe I had never tried before but had the opportunity to devourer at a friend's house in the past, I was excited and slightly afraid to take it on.
The cooking process is surprisingly easy and the sauce that the shanks are cooked in was divine; it has a whole jar of cranberry sauce plus other yummies like red wine, rosemary and love (i.e. butter).
I served the shanks with mashed potato, baby honey-carrots and beans. My mashed potato philosophy is that the potato is really just a vehicle for butter to ride on into your mouth and fill you with happiness (and a few extra calories...).
The shanks were well received by my guest. Over dinner I asked Beth if she would be interested in being my new food guinea pig and she was stumped as to why I prefaced the request with "I have a favour to ask you".

My new food critic was then privy to the debut performance of the "Aliyah is trying to master the art of making creme brulee" tour.
The custard was delicious but could have been a bit firmer. I later discovered that the best way to achieve this is to chill the cooked custards overnight and serve them the next day. The dessert is warmed by the blow-torch when creating the toffee top.
The burnt sugar on top was absolutely wonderful! It was the first time I used my blow-torch and I got a little over excited and kept adding layers of sugar after the previous layer was adequately browned. The result was a delectably thick crust of burnt deliciousness which perfectly accompanied the creamy vanilla-dotted custard.

All in all I believe the night was a success and I am already planning my next dinner party.
Below are a few feast photos from the evening.

Til next cooking adventure.

-the goddess in training.









No comments:

Post a Comment